I'm blogging at www.melaniedorsey.com . Please join me there.

Dec 31, 2008

Ski Tips for Living, A Video & A Challenge


Ski Tips for Living!

As I was skiing this week, it occurred to me how much the basics of skiing correlate to life principles. So I asked One Fine Man to be my official videographer so I could share with you my Ski Tips For Living! You'll notice that about half-way through, a skier passes behind me laughing uproariously. I'm not sure if he was laughing at me or with me or neither! But I figure, if you don't have a "heckler" you're playing it too safe!




As we go into the New Year, I've decided "no more playing it safe." I'm going to challenge myself to break out even further from my circle of ease. I've come to realize that God has given each of us gifts ~ well, that part I've known for a while! But it is my responsibility to develop the gifts He has entrusted to me. It is up to me to be a good steward of all that He has placed in my hands. It is not left up to anyone but ME!


I've had seasons in which I felt there was no opportunity to use certain gifts. When you're in a time like that, it's easy to get lazy and frustrated. But I've found that even in what I percieve to be the dry seasons, God expects me to continue to develop my gifts, talents and abilities. Why? Because when you can glorify Him with your good stewardship in what seems to be a desert, then He can trust you to keep the focus on Him in the abundant, overflowing seasons.


Here's where I am breaking out of my circle of ease and saying, "no more playing it safe." Recently a very creative friend of mine who works for a Christian TV station, taped me doing some 90 second teaching spots. This is a project we are working on together! I'll keep you posted on just how this new ministry project progesses.


What about you? Do you have an area in your life in which you've played it safe for far too long? Or perhaps you sense your entering a season in which it's time to get seriously creative in the gifts God has placed in YOUR hands! Are you excited yet? I am!


So, if you're up for the challenge of "no more playing it safe," I'd love to hear about it! I'm all for offering insight, encouragment or just a cyber "thumbs up" as you break out of your own circle of ease! If you choose to share how you want to break out in 2009, I'll take note and check back with you periodically. Do Tell!


Ski Tips For Living


Ski Tip #1 Where you point your skis, is where you'll go.


Life principle ~ Direction determines destination.


Ski Tip #2 Keep your focus to avoid falls.


Life principle ~ Too many distractions results in a loss of passion for your purpose.


Ski Tip #3 Stay on the course that suits your abilities but keep learning.


Life principle ~ When you are faithful to develop your gifts, opportunities will arise.


* And sometimes you need to show your "hat hair" just to keep it real!

9 comments:

  1. Excellent points. I am excited about developing my gift for politics and writing, I believe those are my gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year my friend! Love the video! You will have to show me how to do that! Love the points! I'm with you - let's stop playing it safe. I don't want to be a "quitter" or a "camper" but a "climber"! I started a new climb last week and God has already shown me favor!
    "I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished..." Philippians 1:6
    This New Year holds so many possibilities, so many opportunities, so many open doors. Yes, you are right - we all need to stop playing it safe, step out on what God has gifted us to do, and go claim the mountain! No quitting! No camping! Just climbing from glory to glory to glory! See ya on the way up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie, I LOVE how you applied skiing to living! I'm not a skier but I sure get your tips:-)

    I'm also planning to "go for it" this year with my writing, and with my "living in the world."

    I feel as if I have let too much time pass relying only upon myself. God has much to accomplish with and through me and I've been slacking waaaay too long!

    Blessings as you break out of your circles of ease.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your video. I think I live with hat hair - LOL! But that wasn't the point now was it? Great job.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent points! I have definitely allowed some distractions to cause my passion to fade. Thanks for the encouragement to stay on track.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, this is sooooo ironic. I've never been skiing, partly because I'm a fraidy-cat. So, if I conquered my fear of going skiing, that would be "breaking out of my circle of ease" right? Have you seen the movie "Yes Man"? I wouldn't recommend it just because some of it was off color. But, it was all about that. Saying yes to more things in life and really living. I appreciate your heart on this, more so than - Jim Carey's - ha!

    And the tips: "too many distractions..." I have way too many of those in my life. My word for the new year is SIMPLIFY! I don't want to lose passion for my purpose!

    "when you are faithful to develop your gifts opportunities will arise". I'm trusting that one to the Lord. What happens when opportunities arise before you feel like your gifts are developed? I may need to send you an email about this one. (So I don't hog all your comment space!:)

    Good post Melanie. When do these things come to you? I usually think of things in the middle of the night and have to write them down on a piece of paper next to the bed so I don't forget. I think that's when God speaks to me most because I am the most quiet and still.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melanie, I hope you are ok. The comment you left on my blog said you were writing from a hospital computer. I just said a prayer for you whatever your circumstances.

    As for this post. I am NOT playing it safe either! At the beginning of 2008 God told me to step off the cliff and trust that His hand would be there. He has been teaching me how He designed me and how He wants me to live that out for His Glory. It has been an incredible adventure and I know it will continue to be.

    God bless you as you step off your cliff too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this! Was truly dynamite. Thanks for sharing. I couldn't agree more so appreciate your words. Blessings. Hav ea blast up there. And when you get back, please post that crock pot spaghetti. :) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute!!!!! I love meeting blogging friends in person! You live in Fla? When did you learn to ski?

    Fun, I hopped over from the address you left on Tiffany's comments!

    ReplyDelete