I'm blogging at www.melaniedorsey.com . Please join me there.

Jun 5, 2009

A New Life Lines post & Friday's Fave Five ~ Cooking tip to a Thank you

To read my Life Lines post, "Your Plans ~ God's Purpose," go here!



For more Friday Fave Five's, click on the tulips!
This week I made chicken enchiladas ~ a favorite dish! There are so many enchilada recipes so I am not including mine today but I would like to share a tip with you. When I am assembling my chicken enchiladas I dip the flour tortilla in the chicken broth before adding the chicken mixture to it. Don't leave it in to soak, just give the "flours" a quick dip. It adds flavor and makes the tortillas more tender.

I visited a nearby thrift store Monday and found 6 white cloth napkins to add to my favorite growing collection. Using cloth napkins saves money and makes even a sandwich for lunch seem a bit special. I got four like the one on the left for $1. The 2 embroidered ones were .50 cents each.

At the same thrift store, I found a Southern Living serving dish. Dishes are one of my favorite things to purchase!
This dish is just the right size for a side dish for our family of 5. It was $3.49.


Guitar Girl, our favorite daughter, had a paying gig at a local place. She played for 3 hours and made a nice little sum. They've asked her back and this is a great way to help out with college expenses. She'll have her B.A. in journalism in 2 years. When she graduated from high school last May she already had a year's worth of college classes completed, thanks to dual enrollment. Yeah....we're proud!


I teach (part time) high school Spanish and Literature at a private school. Yesterday was my last day and last night was the honor roll and graduation ceremony. I had the privilege of reading scripture and praying at the beginning of the graduation ceremony. This is a card from one of my students. My favorite line is..."Thank you...for helping me find a better understanding of God..." (No, spelling doesn't count here, sweet student.)
Have a beautiful Friday. You're favored of God!

8 comments:

  1. Melanie, I cannot think of a better compliment from a student than this. What a blessing that must be to you. By the way, my sister is using one of your recent devotionals for a group of graduating senior girls that she is taking to the beach next week. Thanks for sharing all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy,
    I can't think of a better compliment than your sister using one of my devotionals!
    Which one?
    Melanie@Bella~Mella

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm a youth couselor...
    congrats on your note :)
    happy F3!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mel- Great idea about the enchiladas. I'll try that next time I make them!

    Also love & collect napkins & dishes. Great finds!

    I know you're so proud of your daughter. She sounds like a special young lady. And its always nice to hear what a difference you are making in someone's life.

    Have a great weekend... Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you covered two of my favorites in yours eating good food especially Mexican food and thrifting. I find it so hard to walk away from a great plate :0)
    That's great that your daughter's talent can earn her some cash!
    Have a great weekend....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list and what a lovely card. How special of your student to take the time to express their appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had not thought of dipping the enchiladas in chicken broth but can see where this would be a great tip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet letter from your student!

    Good for your girl! So cool that she is actually getting paid for something she loves to do.

    ReplyDelete