I'm blogging at www.melaniedorsey.com . Please join me there.

Nov 18, 2008

What's For Dinner? Slow Cooker Potato Soup

Jennifer at Smelling Coffee posted a recipe for ZESTY POTATO SOUP on Monday.
I'm trying out Jennifer's recipe the next time I need a quick and tasty potato soup.
But since I already had all the ingredients needed for my Southern Living Slow Cooker Potato Soup, that is What's For Dinner esta noche en mi casa. I guess it's just a potato soup kind of week!

Homestyle Potato Soup

1 (14 1/2 oz.) can chicken broth

4 cups peeled, cubed baking potatos (about 2 lbs) I scrub mine & leave peels on.

1 cup chopped onion

1 cup thinly sliced celery

3/4 cup thinly sliced carrot

3 T butter, cut into small pieces

3 garlic cloves, minced

salt/fresly ground pepper to taste

1/4 cup flour

1 1/2 cups milk

7 T shredded sharp cheddar cheese (optional)


1. Place first 9 ingredients in 4 1/2 quart slow cooker; stir well. Cover w/lid; cook on high-heat setting 1 hour. Reduce to low-heat setting, and cook 4 - 5 hours or until vegetables are tender. Increase to high-heat setting.


Just after adding the first 9 ingredients (above)

Ready for the flour/milk addition (left)~ 25 minutes to thicken up (right)
2. Place flour in a bowl; gradually add milk, stirring w/a whisk until well blended. Stir into soup. Cook, uncovered, 25 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Ladle into bowls; sprinkle w/cheese and add more cracked pepper, if desired.

Soup's On!

Behold ~ The Beauty of Soup!
The picture up top is from the Southern Living Slow Cooker Cookbook - 123 Luscious Recipes to Come Home To

5 comments:

  1. Sounds good, especially on a cold day like today! Let us know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, it's 39 degrees outside in lovely Wesley Chapel, North Carolina. Potato Soup would be just the ticket to warm up by the fireplace tonight. I'll add yummy warm bread and my pumpkin mini-tarts and that will be dinner at the Browns. I have vegetable broth on hand so I'm gonna try that. Too cold to go out to the store...I'll let you know if it works. Loved yesterday's post. See you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfectly homey fall recipe! I am one of those for whom fall makes we want to spend more time baking and cooking these classics! I'm going to put this on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this looks DELICIOUS!!! Next time I make potato soup, I'll try your recipe. :-) Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will try this. It looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete