I'm blogging at www.melaniedorsey.com . Please join me there.

May 21, 2009

Have You Seen This?

As you have already figured out, I like to cook. I also strive for healthy choices when it comes to food. Admittedly however, I don't always cook with health in mind.
(Me + a "bad hair day" = goofy picture)
Sometimes I prepare meals based on what I can put together without a trip to the grocery. This week one of our dinners was bacon, scrambled eggs, refrigerated biscuits and cheese grits. And today for lunch we had fried chicken. (All the kids were home at lunchtime.) I must say that although it was all tasty and all eaten, I felt yucky afterwards.

What I have learned to do when my cooking is not the healthiest, is to limit these types of meals to once or twice a week. Being careful about portion sizes is another good way to offset a high fat meal. And if our dinner is not going to be so "healthy," I will prepare it early so we have several hours before bedtime to "burn it off." We sometimes eat dinner before 5:00. We can do this because One Fine Man works from home. Then, as for me, there is no snacking after dinner. The kitchen is closed! Along with my hiatus from sugar and chips, this has worked to keep my weight down. However I am also concerned about my overall health...not just the number on the scale.

That being said, I would like to lose 7 more lbs. In August my "Everyday Life" article will be on the Proverbs 31 website. In it I write about my 16 pound weight loss. You will find out in more detail how I did it. Since cutting out sugar and chips, I've lost another 6. But at my height, I would prefer a little less stuff "here" and "there."

Last week I watched a new show on Lifetime. It is called "Cook Yourself Thin." Three chefs show a guest how to lighten up her favorite recipes in order to drop a dress size. From what I have seen so far, they redo a lunch, a dinner and a dessert. I think this is a great idea for a show. The chefs revisit the guest 6 weeks later to see if she has, indeed, dropped a size. I'm thinking about making this my next cookbook. At any rate, I plan to start "skinny~fying," as opposed to "fat~frying" some of my favorite dishes so I can drop a dress size! I'll let you know how it goes.

I want to try the recipe for "Sesame Peanut Noodles."
Have you seen this new show? Do you own the cookbook? Have you "skinny~fied" any of your favorite recipes?

10 comments:

  1. I will check this out later Melanie. My brain is getting sleepy. It's late. How wonderful you are being faithful to keep doing the right things. Thanks for sharing your focus on health. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not seen this show but I want to. I do skinny~fi most everything I make for my husband and me. Since we are older empty nesters our menus consist mostly of big healthy salads for our dinners. We are a bit dull and boring in that category, because we both watch our weight carefully. But when I cook for extended family and friends, I am not as cautions, although I do tend to be health conscious always. I applaud your efforts, and I appreciate learning about this show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not seen this show. I'd love to know what skinny-frying is though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not familiar with this show or cookbook. You have inspired me to eat less sugar. Now I'm much more conscientious about not using it. Thanks for the tips. Have a great weekend. Blessings, SusanD

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been watching the show - and REALLY like it! Haven't tried the recipes yet, but most of the stuff looks great! I want to get the cookbook too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One way I "lighten" up meals is to add fresh or frozen veggies or fruit. I just always feel better when I have a serving or two of some produce. My rule is that I use my produce in order so I never run out: Fresh/quickly spoiled first, Fresh/slowly spoiled second, then frozen and if need be, canned. When I am out of produce, I go to the store.

    Good for you that you are dropping weight and getting healthy!! That's awesome!

    Blessings,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have learned to skinny-fy many recipes which in times past has usually been motivated by the health of the whole family. I'm the only one that has to really watch my weight. Thankfully our children got my husband's metabolism. He's still the same weight as 30 years ago. Fortunate man!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love your blog....and visit often.


    I am new to the blog world, but have seen the miracle of the blogging community and prayer in the last two days. Hope you will stop by my blog and pray for little Maggie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Rooster pic you have above your stove is the same pic I have in my dining room! LOVE IT! Cook Yourself Thin - I think I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look as darling as ever - not seeing a bad hair day here. :-)

    I haven't heard about that show yet. I'll check it out. Also, I'm looking forward to reading your article.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete