I'm blogging at www.melaniedorsey.com . Please join me there.

Sep 7, 2010

Vegging Out

For the next 10 days I am joining my daughter in the goal of eating more fruits and vegetables and less animal products.
(Not eliminating. Just decreasing)



I tried a recipe for black bean burgers yesterday. They were very good.  But the leftovers were even better!
The recipe makes 6 burgers and they are very filling. While Dad and Son were eating grilled kielbasa on Labor Day. Mom and Daughter had black bean burgers instead. With cumin and cilantro, there was a definite Tex Mex flavor.
Here is the link to the recipe. It's a "keeper."

Avery's current favorite breakfast
My Monster Bagels
buttered, toasted "plain" bagel with cheese, egg and sausage
~definitely not "a veggie tale"~

Do you ever watch Food Network's Cupcake Wars? I saw the episode in which this very cupcake was a winner. A young vegan chef, Chloe Coscarelli, won against bakers of traditional egg and butter cupcakes. I took a look at Coscarelli's food blog and I will be trying some of her recipes. In fact, I can't wait!
I'll share my ups and downs over the next 10 days of "vegging out."
Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake Cupcake
Photo credits: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/06/tasty-vegan-food-cupcakes-show-it-can-be-done/?partner=rss&emc=rss
With all of the great new vegan and vegetarian recipes, how about you, are you eating less animal products?
One more thing ~ All of us in our house have complained about a lack of energy and overall fatigue lately. While it could be a part of the grieving process, we are all sick and tired of being tired and having low energy. (I'm still running however!) Hopefully I can find a quick fix for our energy ebb!
As Family Manager, this falls to me. Got any ideas for us? Help a mother out!

8 comments:

  1. I'm with you both on the vegging/fruiting out thing. I definitely notice a difference when I eat mostly whole foods. So far today I've had a coconut milk/banana/bluberry smoothie, some cashews, sesame crackers and hummus and LOTS of water! I need to go fill myself up with some protein because I'm lagging a little right now. I think I'll do an avacado and bean enchilada in place of the beef ones I'm making for the family:)

    I saw your comment on my running post....I'm so excited you thought of me for a My Mom Runs poster/interviewer. Just let me know when, details, etc.

    Can't wait to hear how your 10 days goes....nice to know there are others doing the same thing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know me, not many animal (or otherwise) products on my plate these days ;-)

    But I used to work at a health-food deli. Their fruit salad was one of my favorites. Here's the recipe for individual meal-sized salads:

    Line the outside of a salad plate with apple slices, orange wedges (6 each) and sliced bananas (about 1/2 banana per plate.) The fruit can be arranged opposite each other: 3 apples, 3 orange wedges, 1/2 of the banana slices on opposite sides of the plate. Place a scoop of cottage cheese or yogurt in the center of the plate. Sprinkle sliced strawberries around the yogurt, if available. Top salad with shredded coconut (optional), chopped almonds or walnuts, toasted wheat germ, ground cinnamon, and drizzled honey. Enjoy! (I wish I had a photo to show you. This salad is so pretty.)

    P.S. I have a great recipe for lentil soup, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to try the black bean burger recipe...thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Veggies and fruit, sounds very yummy sis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those burgers do sound good, no energy here lately Mel, perhaps it is something going around....Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. good for you! we all need to be eating more
    fruits and vegetables. i'm going to try, too!

    i came over from debbie's place and am glad
    i did!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definately need to eat more fruits and veggies...but I do like my chicken and hamburger. Those recipes look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. In honor of my 40th birthday, I've gone meatless for a year. I still have to fix it, because I have a family to feed (4 young children and a meat loving husband), but I just don't eat it. Between that and my 2 mile runs each morning, I've never felt better. I fix lots of side dishes and feast on those leaving the meat off my plate. I don't miss it one bit.

    ReplyDelete