I'm blogging at www.melaniedorsey.com . Please join me there.

Apr 19, 2009

Bella~Mella's Southern Cucina

A Simple Sunday Dinner
Taking the hambone from Easter Sunday's Ham, I made soup. And you can't eat ham soup without cornbread! So I made that, too.
My ham soup always starts the same but I take a different recipe road with each pot I make. I trim the fat and some of the ham from the bone. Cover the bone with water and bring to a boil. Add diced onion and celery to the pot. Salt & pepper. Add a can of mild Rotel tomatoes and a can of diced tomatoes. I also used 16 oz. of dried Great Northern Beans. The day before, I prepared the beans according to the package directions for the "quick soak."
After adding the beans, let the "soup" return to a boil. Lower the heat and remove some of the beans - about 1 cup - to mash. I put them in a bowl and used the back of a large spoon to mash the beans. This adds creaminess and thickens your soup. I also added left over ham to the pot. I finished off my soup Saturday night (removing the ham bone) and refrigerated it. When we returned from church Sunday, all I had to do was skim off a bit of fat from the top and return the soup to a stockpot. While it was re-heating I made a pone of cornbread. After my preparation on Saturday this simple dinner took only 1/2 hour from refrigerator to table.

Sometimes I make ham soup with potatoes, corn and carrots. It's all good!

Quite simply...satisfying!

5 comments:

  1. Looks delish, Melanie. You're quite the cook!

    I just made ham and navy bean soup this week, too. I puree the potatoes, carrots and onions in our food processor and it makes the soup thick. YUM!

    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I just had She-crab soup for dinner (from a restaurant). I had homemade veggie soup for lunch. I love soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for your leftover ham! The temperature is cooling off this week and I'm planning on making some soup for our upcoming guests!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yummy! two of my favorite dishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. O Sweetie I could just jump into that bowl! We had cornbread for dinner tonight but with barbecue chicken etc.

    Bless you!

    ReplyDelete