I'm blogging at www.melaniedorsey.com . Please join me there.

Mar 21, 2009

Swiss Cheesy Bread - Saturday Stirrings


Go see Carol @ I Throw Like A Girl for more Saturday Stirrings recipes!

Warning: You'll be tempted to hog it all for yourself!


1 large loaf French Bread
16 slices Swiss cheese
2 sticks of butter
1 small bell pepper
1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
1 small jar mushrooms/or fresh
1 large onion

You can play around with the components of this recipe. Use fresh or jarred mushrooms/garlic. You can use less butter...but don't cut it down too much. Omit onions if you are not an "onion person." But please, don't "cut the cheese." (A little "boy humor." I couldn't resist! Well I could, but that was funny!)
Place large piece of aluminum foil on baking sheet. Place a loaf of bread on cutting board and split French bread into 1" slices, careful not to cut through bottom of crust. Transfer bread to aluminum foil. Layer 1 slice of cheese in each split. Saute onion, pepper, garlic & mushrooms. Pour this over bread, letting it run down into slices. Cover with foil & bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.

12 comments:

  1. Yummy! This would be very dangerous for me at my house. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I can totally make this and it seems divine! YUMMY!

    Cut the cheese? Oh really...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! This looks AMAZING! Definitely one to try! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so glad i'm not the only one who makes *gaseous* jokes on their blog!

    looks/sounds nummy btw!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again Bella Mella is in the kitchen. Sounds delicious, except for the cheese cutting. B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, yum!!! I'll cut the fungus though, but the rest of it sounds wonderful!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yum, this looks like it would be a favorite at your house. The kids love anything with cheese!
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  8. You just have the best recipes ever, Melanie! I'm thinking you need to invite me over for lunch some time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just gained some weight reading this recipe!! Yum!! The boy humor was appreciated...I'm the only girl in the house!I hear it all!!

    Love you!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. The next pot of Chili that I make, I am going to try this recipe. It sounds like an irresistable one to me. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm trying to tell myself "I don't like cheese, I don't like bread, I crave carrot sticks, I crave vegetables." You'll be the first I'll tell that I'm going back on Weight Watcher's today. SURELY I can do this without going back to meetings. I guess I should blog about it and make myself accountable. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the boy humor!!!
    Hey, did you know you can make a can of refried beans "poop"? Store it upside down and when you open the lid, give it a good shake to get it to "go." My boys LOVE IT!!!
    *grin*

    ReplyDelete