I'm blogging at www.melaniedorsey.com . Please join me there.

Aug 2, 2011

Iron Girls Bible Study ~ John 19 - 21 Notes

                                          "Fulfilled, Blessed & Full"
John 19:5

“Then Jesus came out, wearing the crown of thorns and the purple robe. And Pilate said to them, ‘Behold the Man!’”

There is something so humbling about this verse, that had I been witness to the scene, I would have looked away.
Our Savior, a man of sorrows, exhibited such veiled strength in this moment. He had left his rightful place in the Heavenlies for us – for each of us as individuals. He took upon Himself the form of man so that we might be reformed in Him.
I imagine that as he wore the symbols of mockery on His shoulders and His head– the robe and the thorny crown – He wore His heart of love for humanity on His sleeve.
Pierced in His side, the blood and water flowed…symbols of redemption and a fulfillment of prophecy - the fulfillment of God’s plan.
Jesus fulfilled God's plan and finished the work.
For God so loved the world that He sent His Son to wear a purple robe and a crown of thorns so that we might be robed in righteousness and crowned with loving kindness.

John 20:29
“Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

This has become a life verse for me. In the spring of 2010, I had begun running again. I usually ran in the evening and it was a season in which I wrestled with many things. I remember the night that I was returning home from a 3 mile run in the dark. As I turned the corner of my street, I told God, “Even though Andrew did not receive healing in our present time, I still believe You are the Healer.” Tears mixed with my sweat as I neared home and as I was almost to my mailbox, I heard this word gently whispered to my heart, “Blessed are those who have NOT seen and YET have believed.”
Healing began.

John 21:5-6

Simon Peter and company fished all night in the Sea of Tiberias and "that night they caught nothing." But with the morning sun, came the Son of the morning standing on the shore.

“Then said Jesus, ‘Children, have you any food?’ They answered Him, ‘No.’ And He said to them, ‘Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you will find some.’ So they cast, and now they were not able to draw it in because of the multitude of fish.” (verses 5,6)

Sometimes even seasoned fishermen come up empty. But when God gives the command, the fish start jumping! This verse ‘jumped’ out at me this morning.
You see, my nets have been empty for a while. And I’ve gotten discouraged. Perhaps you, too, have experienced a "night of empty nets.” Be encouraged that when Jesus “shows Himself” (v. 1), and speaks in your season of emptiness, the fish will start jumping and your nets will be full!
And just to further convince you that God is in the details, verse 11 records the exact number of how many fish filled the nets – 153!

What a picture to end my personal study of Jesus in The Gospel According to John.
Because Jesus Christ fulfilled God's plan, I am blessed and my nets will be full.

Know Jesus more and better and carry on

No comments:

Post a Comment