I'm blogging at www.melaniedorsey.com . Please join me there.

Jul 17, 2011

Iron Girls Bible Study ~ John 14 Notes

                       "HE IS Peace"


Verse 1
Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.”

Let not, “Do not yield.”
“let” Strong’s #863 carries the idea of “not yielding”

Heart, kardia, Strong’s #2588: The physical organ for the body, but also the center of one’s personality and contains both rational and emotional elements. It is the seat of feelings, desires, joy, pain, and love. It is also the center for thought, understanding, and will. The human heart is the dwelling place of the Lord and the Holy Spirit.
The Lord sees into the innermost being where all decisions concerning Him are made.

Troubled, tarasso (tar-as-so); Strong’s #5015: To unsettle, stir up, agitate, disturb, trouble. The word is used in a physical sense (John 5:7), but its primary use in the NT is metaphorical. It denotes mental agitation from fear or perplexity (Matt. 2:3; 14:26); an upheaval in the spirit (John 11:33; 13:21); stirring up a crowd (Acts 17:8, 13); confusion, resulting from false doctrine (Acts 15:24; Gal. 1:7; 5:10).

Do not yield your thinking and feeling to upheaval. Believe in Jesus.

In the midst of turmoil, testing or tragedy, "Let not your heart be troubled" is easy to say. Harder to practice. I believe it takes discipline. I am living out this disciplining of the mind and the emotions and also the body.

Verse 27
“Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”

The Peace Christ Jesus gives to us is Himself – every aspect of Who He Is.
That is why we can have peace in the midst of turmoil. We have Christ. He is not just a feeling. He is Almighty God – the One who keeps His promises and He promised us His Peace. “…My peace I give to you…” (v 27).

Peace and carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment