I'm blogging at www.melaniedorsey.com . Please join me there.

Jun 11, 2011

Iron Girls ~ John 2 "From the Vine to Wine" & "The Word is a Discerner"

 (My personal notes on John 2)

"From the True Vine to the Good Wine"


John 2:6-10

The natural process of making wine is for rain to fall and to be absorbed by the roots of the grape vine, to be drawn up into the grapes, and then to be pressed out of the ripe grapes as “new wine.” Jesus’ miracle began naturally, as he directed the servants to “Fill the pots with water.”
And who is the vine? Jesus says of Himself in John 15:1, “I am the true vine…”
The supernatural is then displayed even as the natural timing of wine making is displaced and Jesus turns the water into wine.
Without Him, we can do nothing. Jesus is the Vine. Our Father is the Vine dresser (the One knows us intimately, cares for us, and prunes us to bear fruit). We are the branches. As we abide (make our dwelling) in Him, we are fruitful. ("And the Word became flesh and dwelt among them..." John 1:14; "Abide in Me and I in you" John 15:4)
The fruit we produce glorifies God, fulfills us and blesses others. If we go back to verse 8, we hear Jesus’ words regarding the wine, “Draw some out now.”

As you live and dwell in Christ, you will begin to hear his unmistakable instruction to take what is in you and give it to others. You will hear Him say, “Draw some out now.”

Is there any area in your life in which you are hesitating to “draw some out”?


The WORD is a Discerner

John 2:23-25


V. 23 – “Now when He was in Jerusalem at the Passover, during the feast, many believed in His name when they saw the signs which He did.”
V. 24 – “But Jesus did not commit Himself to them, because He knew all men…”
V. 25 – “…and had no need that anyone should testify of man, for He knew what was in man.”

The Greek word used for “sign” is this passage is “semeion,” and occurs 77 times in the NT. It identifies an act of supernatural power. It is an authentication of a person “sent of God.”
Verse 23 tells us that many believed in Jesus’ name (name representing oneself) when they saw the signs or miracles He performed. This would not be an unusual outcome – to believe upon seeing. However verse 24 reveals that Jesus did not “commit” Himself to those who believed after seeing a sign. 

(Strong’s #4100 “commit” – to put in trust with)

The disciples already believed in Jesus; the miracles only deepened their faith and trust in Him, as compared to those who believed in His name upon seeing a sign.
Verse 24 elaborates on the idea of Jesus “knowing” man. He knows what is in a man’s heart and mind.
Hebrews 4:12, “For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”

Last year as I was only a few months from the passing of our sweet boy, Andrew, I was out running in the dusk of the evening. As I often do, I used that time to talk to God. My heart was overwhelmed with grief and also questions. But that night one very clear word from God that was balm to my wounded heart. As I turned the corner of my street heading home, I told God that even though we did not see Andrew’s healing in our present time, I still believed that He is the Healer. I ran past a few more houses, getting closer to the end of my run and as I approached my driveway, this word rose up in my heart, 
“Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe.”

Are you in a place of longing to see a sign? 
Do you need a supernatural intervention? 
Are you praying for a miracle? 

I don’t know what God has in mind for you. But I do know His plans for you are good ones.

Keep believing and carry on!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie:

    Even though I'm not doing this study, I do pop in and out and check your words when I can. I particularly love this one today and the word He gave you as you ran... 'blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe'... it's a verse He's given me many times during a faith faltering situation. How perfectly that fit where you were that day as you claimed that He is still the healer.

    This rings loud and clear to me... thanks.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love this verse. We have to give Him our trust even when we don't understand. That's not an easy task--at least for me! Thanks for this post. Sending you hugs!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete